Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Like Riding a Bicycle, By George Bilgere

I would like to write a poem

About how my father taught me 

To ride a bicycle one soft twilight,
A poem in which he was tired

And I was scared, unable to disbelieve

In gravity and believe in him,
As the fireflies were coming out

And only enough light remained

For one more run, his big hand at the small

Of my back, pulling away like the gantry

At a missile launch, and this time, this time

I wobbled into flight, caught a balance

I would never lose, and pulled away

From him as he eased, laughing, to a stop,
A poem in which I said that even today
As I make some perilous adult launch,
Like pulling away from my wife

Into the fragile new balance of our life

Apart, I can still feel that steadying hand,
Still hear that strong voice telling me
To embrace the sweet fall forward
Into the future's blue

Equilibrium. But,

Of course, he was drunk that night,
Still wearing his white shirt 

And tie from the office, the air around us

Sick with scotch, and the challenge

Was keeping his own balance

As he coaxed his bulk into a trot

Beside me in the hot night, sweat

Soaking his armpits, the eternal flame

Of his cigarette flaring as he gasped

And I fell, again and again, entangled

In my gleaming Schwinn, until

He swore and stomped off
Into the house to continue 

Working with my mother

On their own divorce, their balance

Long gone and the hard ground already
Rising up to smite them

While I stayed outside in the dark,

Still falling, until at last I wobbled

Into the frail, upright delight

Of feeling sorry for myself, riding

Alone down the neighborhood's 

Black street like the lonely western hero
I still catch myself in the act 

Of performing.

And yet, having said all this,
I must also say that this summer evening

Is very beautiful, and I am older

Than my father ever was

As I coast the Pacific shoreline

On my old bike, the gears clicking

Like years, the wind

Touching me for the first time, it seems,
In a very long time, 

With soft urgency all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment